Homemade mayonnaise is sooooo easy to make that you’ll wonder why you ever purchased store bought mayo. The classic version is delicious, versatile and takes less than 5 minutes to make. Plus it’s Paleo, Whole30, keto, sugar-free and vegetarian. And you can use it as the basis for many other dressings and sauces — including an amazing Caesar Salad dressing recipe.
Make this easy homemade paleo mayonnaise with a food processor, blender or immersion blender — it’s just so much FUN to see it come together.
Super important: You must use either light olive oil or avocado oil in this recipe. Traditional extra virgin olive oil will not emulsify properly.
The mayonnaise will keep for as long as the eggs are fresh so be sure to check the freshness date on your egg carton when you prepare this sauce. The expiration date for your eggs will be the expiration date for your mayonnaise.
Turn Your Homemade Mayonnaise Into Sauces and Dressings
Once you’ve mastered the basic recipe, try any and all of these variations (added to one cup of homemade mayonnaise). They make a great sandwich spread as well as a dipping sauce for fries or roasted vegetables. (If you haven’t tried dipping my Crispy Sheet Pan Broccoli in one of these sauces, you’re missing out!)
- Spicy Mayo – Mix in 1 teaspoon of Sriracha sauce
- Garlic Aoli – Add one clove minced garlic
- Herb Mayo – Add 1 tablespoon dry seasoning or 3 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (basil, cilantro, garlic, oregano or a combination all work well)
- Truffle Aoli – Add one clove minced garlic and 2 teaspoons truffle oil
- Everything Bagel Spread – Add 2 tablespoons Everything But the Bagel seasoning
- Caesar Salad Dressing – this recipe isn’t an “add in” but it uses the same technique as the basic mayo recipe.
Try this healthy recipe and let me know what you think. Be sure to tag #grownupdish or @grownup_dish on Instagram so I can share your posts.
Homemade mayonnaise is so easy to make that you’ll wonder why you ever purchased store bought mayo. It’s delicious, versatile and takes less than 5 minutes to make. Plus it’s Paleo, Whole30, keto, sugar-free & vegetarian.
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/4 cups avocado oil or light olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Place egg, lemon juice and mustard in a food processor, blender or immersion blender.
- Add olive/avocado oil with the machine running, until the mayo thickens. Do not over mix.
- Taste and add salt and pepper.
- Store the mayo in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. It will stay fresh until the date that your egg expires.
- Prep Time:5 minutes
Keywords: mayonnaise, mayo, paleo mayo, whole30 mayo, whole30 mayonnaise, homemade mayonnaise