Easy chicken queso soup is cheesy, a little bit spicy, very creamy, very hearty, and oh so delicous. Quick & easy to make with leftover rotisserie chicken.
- 1 – 2 cups of cooked chicken, chopped
- 2 cups salsa
- 2 cups chicken stock, vegetable stock or chicken bone broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 14 ounces of corn, canned, frozen or fresh
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 14 ounce can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 ounces cream cheese (half a block)
- 6 ounces shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese
- (optional) fresh cilantro for topping
- (optional) chopped avocado for topping
- (optional) tortilla chips for dipping
- Roast vegetables. Put all peppers and corn on a sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and roast in a 450 degree oven for 10 – 15 minutes until browned.
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven, over medium heat, add roasted vegetables, chicken, salsa, black beans, cumin, chili powder and chicken stock. Heat until boiling and then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add cream cheese and shredded cheddar or pepper jack. Stir until melted.
- Serve topped with cilantro, avocado and lots of tortilla chips for dipping.
If you’d rather cook your peppers and corn in a skillet: Place the peppers and corn in a large nonstick skillet over high heat without oil. Cook for 4-5 minutes WITHOUT stirring. This creates the browned, roasted look out on the outside of the peppers. Stir once and repeat until the peppers are nice and browned.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: soup
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: chicken soup. mexican soup, queso, cheesy soup, soup, easy chicken soup