Creamy asparagus soup tastes like springtime in a bowl and it’s dairy free, Paleo, Whole30 and vegan (if you use vegetable stock). One pot recipe makes cleanup a breeze.
- Olive or avocado oil
- 2 bunches of asparagus, washed and cut into 2” pieces
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped leek, thoroughly washed and chopped (white part only)
- 4–5 green onions, chopped, white part only
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon
- 40 ounces vegetable stock, chicken stock, bone broth or combination
- Flat leaf parsley or green onion tops for (optional garnish)
- Roughly chop onion, leek, green onion and 2 cloves of garlic
- Heat a large Dutch oven or heavy bottomed pan to medium. Add a few tablespoons of olive oil or avocado oil. Saute onions, leeks, green onion and garlic for 4 – 6 minutes until translucent and fragrant
- Add chopped asaparagus
- Add broth/stock. Most of the asparagus/onion mixture should be covered.
- Simmer 30 – 40 minutes until all vegetables are very soft and cooked through. Safety tip: Turn off burner and let mixture cool slightly (15 – 20 minutes)
- Thoroughly puree mixture using immersion blender OR carefully transfer to blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper as well as the juice of one lemon.
- Garnish with chopped flat leaf parsley or green onion. You could also garnish with a dollop of sour cream.
- For vegan or vegetarian version, use vegetable stock.
- This recipe reheats and freezes beautifully.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: recipe
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: creamy asparagus soup, asparagus, asparagus soup, soup recipe, easy soup, one pot soup