Creamy browned butter cauliflower soup uses clean ingredients but tastes rich and decadent. Vegetarian and keto and can also be made vegan or Whole30 compliant with a few ingredient swaps.
- 2 small heads cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 32 ounces chicken or vegetable stock (or chicken bone broth)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (I love Kalona Supernatural)
- Drizzle cauliflower with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread seasoned cauliflower on a rimmed baking sheet in a single layer and bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees until cauliflower is golden brown.
- While cauliflower bakes, heat a large dutch oven over medium heat and saute onion until translucent (about 10 minutes). Add 2 cloves of garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add roasted cauliflower and chicken or vegetable broth, ensuring that the cauliflower is covered.
- Simmer mixture on low heat for 15 minutes.
- While soup is simmering, in a small skillet, melt 4 tablespoons butter until it’s golden brown and nutty. Be careful not to burn it.
- Add browned butter mixture to soup.
- Puree mixture using an immersion blender or a traditional blender. You can decide whether to make it completely smoooth or leave it a little bit chunky.
- Taste and add salt/pepper as desired.
- Garnish with chopped green onion or parsley.
This soup recipe is vegetarian and keto friendly. To make it Whole30 compliant, use ghee instead of butter. If you want to make a vegan version, you can omit the browned butter and use vegetable broth.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: recipe
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: soup, cauliflower soup, creamy soup, soup recipe, browned butter,