- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 8 oz mushrooms, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 – 6 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 16 ounces beef or chicken stock (or substitute bone broth)
- 2 bay leaves
- (optional) 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- (optional) 1 cup parmesean cheese, grated
- (optional) 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Chop all vegetables.
- Add olive oil to Instapot (set to Saute) and cook vegetables (onion, celery, mushroom and carrot) stirring frequently for 10 – 12 minutes until they are soft.
- Add the ground beef and sausage to the vegetable mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon, until it is no longer pink (7 – 9 minutes).
- Stir in garlic, tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, broth and bay leaves. Make sure that the liquid completely covers the meat.
- Lock the lid on Instapot and set it to pressure cook for 45 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, manually release pressure OR allow pressure to release naturally (10 – 15 minutes)
- Add fresh basil, cream and cheese if desired.
- Follow steps 1-4 above using a large, heavy pot on the stovetop.
- Place the lid on the pot. Turn heat to low and simmer for at least 3 hours. Longer is better.
- Add the fresh basil, cream and cheese if desired.
- Follow steps 1-3 above using a large, heavy pot on the stovetop.
- Transfer meat and vegetables to Crockpot. Add garlic, tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, broth and bay leaves. Make sure that the liquid completely covers the meat.
- Place the lid on the crockpot and simmer (on low) for at least 3 hours. Longer is better.
- Add cream and cheese if desired.
Serve it over any type of cooked pasta, or lighten it up by serving it over zoodles (zucchini noodles), roasted eggplant or butternut squash.
Omit cheese and cream for Paleo and Whole30 version.
If freezing, don’t add dairy (cream or cheese) until ready to serve.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: recipe
- Method: pressure cooker
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Insapot, crockpot, pasta, bolognese, sauce
[…] key to making this a quick and easy weeknight dinner is to make the amazing and easy Instant Pot Sausage & Mushroom Bolognese in advance and freeze it. Or, you can substitute the meat (or meat-less) spaghetti sauce of your […]