5-Ingredient Creamy Carbonara is an easy weeknight dinner – cozy, comforting and shockingly easy to make. It uses pantry staples and gets its creaminess from eggs (no cream or butter)!
- 4 ounces pancetta or bacon, diced small
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 pound traditional or gluten-free pasta (or substitute zoodles)
- (optional) fresh parsley or basil to garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the directions. Cooking time will vary depending on the type of pasta you’re using. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta cooking water.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook pancetta or bacon until crispy, 5-7 minutes.
- combine egg yolks, egg, parmesan and pepper in a bowl and mix well.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the bowl with the cheese and the eggs, tossing to fully combine.
- Add pancetta/bacon as well as any rendered fat.
- Add pasta water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the sauce reaches a creamy consistency.
- Add salt, pepper and extra cheese as desired.
- (optional) top with fresh chopped parsley or basil
If you are substituting zoodles for pasta, omit step 1 of the recipe and use lightly sauteéd zucchini noodles instead.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: recipe
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: pasta, carbonara, pasta carbonara, weeknight dinner, italian food, gluten free, 30-minute meal, creamy carbonara, bacon