If your summer garden is overflowing (or while produce is super cheap) make this weeknight zucchini and tomato pasta. It can be whipped up in less than 30 minutes and it’s a perfect vegetarian meal (easily made vegan if you omit the cheese).
- 4 small zucchinis, sliced
- 2 sliced shallots or 1/2 of a red onion
- 4 whole garlic cloves
- 2 – 3 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 – 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- (optional) pesto or chopped herbs for garnish
- Toss vegetables with olive oil and arrange in one layer on a sheet pan. Bake 20 minutes until the cherry tomatoes start to burst and the zucchini is slightly browned.
- Remove sheet pan from oven and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Return pan to oven for 5 minutes.
- Cook 10 ounces of your favorite pasta in salted water according to package directions. I used gluten-free Jovial pasta, but any noodle will work.
- Drain pasta and reserve 1 cup of cooking water.
- Toss cooked pasta with cooked vegetables. Add a little pasta cooking water to marry the flavors and make a light sauce.
- Top with a dollop of pesto, chopped fresh herbs, or both.
Recipe can be easily doubled or tripled.
Use fresh or dried pasta. For gluten-free, I prefer Jovial pasta.
Omit cheese for vegan version.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: recipe
- Method: stove
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: pasta, sheet pan, zucchini, tomato, weeknight meal, garden, vegan, vegetarian