This Healthy Slow Cooker Jewish Brisket is a taste-great, feel-good classic. It smells amazing when it’s cooking and it’s super versatile. Serve it sliced “pot roast style” or shred the meat and use it in tacos. It’s sugar-free, gluten-free, keto, paleo & Whole30 compliant.
- 2 lb beef brisket (ideally grass fed)
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup sugar-free ketchup
- 1/3 cup sugar-free BBQ sauce
- 1 cup beef bone broth
- (optional) 4 chopped carrots and 1 lb yukon gold potatoes
- (optional) sprig of fresh thyme or chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Season the meat with salt and pepper. Heat a pan to medium high (or use the saute function on your slow cooker) and sear the meat on all sides until it is slightly brown. This will take 5-10 minutes. You can skip this step if you’re in a hurry, but the searing does add flavor.
- Place onions in the bottom of slow cooker.
- Put the brisket on top of the onions.
- Mix the garlic, ketchup, BBQ sauce and beef broth together and pour over the meat.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
- If adding carrots and potatoes, put them in for the last two hours.
- Slice the meat against the grain and return it to the sauce.
- (optional) Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley or thyme.
I made this brisket in my slow cooker. But you could also make it in a large dutch oven (with a lid) and cook it at 350 F for 4 – 6 hours.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Category: recipe
- Method: slow cooker
- Cuisine: Jewish
Keywords: brisket, Jewish, slow cooker, brisket taco, beef, beef brisket, traditional brisket, healthy brisket
My family loves a pot roast, but we’re no fans of fatty meat. Perhaps brisket is a better choice…?
I haven’t made this yet, but has anyone tried an alternative to BBQ sauce?
I have made this twice now and it doesn’t disappoint!! It is now a family favorite to make. I use London broil meat instead bc it’s what I have on hand. I also switch up the veggies sometimes. This past time I used beets and kohlrabi and oh it was yummy! Highly recommend.
Amanda – you made my day. Thanks so much for leaving this review.