I bet you have most (if not all) of the ingredients to make Pasta Fagioli soup in your pantry right now. It turns pantry staples in a hearty healthy meal in less than an hour.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 – 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 pound ground meat (beef, pork, chicken, turkey or meat substitute)
- 1 14–ounce jar chopped tomatoes
- 32 ounces beef or chicken stock
- 2 14–ounce cans of drained beans
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning blend
- (optional) red pepper flakes
- 1/2 to 1 cup of uncooked small pasta (ditalini, elbow macaroni, small shells)
- fresh chopped basil or grated parmesan cheese for garnish
- Saute onion, carrot and celery in olive oil over medium high heat until the vegetables start to soften (about 5 minutes.)
- Add 1 pound ground meat and cook thoroughly (until meat is no longer pink).
- Add garlic and tomato paste and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in canned tomatoes, beans and stock and seasonings.
- Bring soup to a simmer for at least 30 minutes (up to an hour).
- Ten minutes before serving, add pasta and cook for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped basil and grated parmesan cheese.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: recipe
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: soup, easy soup, pasta fagioli, olive garden, copycat recipe, easy soup, healthy soup, italian soup