One Pan Cheesy Vegetable Pasta Bake is a culinary ode to the vibrant flavors and colors of summer, featuring orzo pasta, aromatic basil, zucchini, Jalapeno peppers, sweet corn, and a decadent layer of melted cheese. This recipe is a symphony of tastes and textures that come together in a single pan, creating a hearty, satisfying, and utterly delicious meal.
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium or two small Jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot (or small red onion), chopped
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- sprinkle of red chili flakes
- salt and pepper
- kernels from 2-3 ears of corn (or use canned corn) about 2 cups
- 1 pound orzo pasta (swap for gluten free if desired)
- 8 ounces basil pesto (homemade or purchased)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, parmesan, or a mixture)
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a 9 x 13 casserole dish, combine zucchini, Jalapeno pepper, garlic, olive oil, Italian seasoning, chili flakes, salt and pepper. Stir well and roast for 15 minutes.
- Pull the vegetable mixture out of the oven. To the same pan add corn, pesto and orzo. Pour 2 1/2 cups of chicken stock on top and mix. Return the dish to the oven and bake for an additional 12-15 minutes, until most of the liquid has absorbed.
- Remove pan from oven and sprinkle cheese on top. Bake for another 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling.
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve.
- You can purchase a jar of quality pesto at the grocery store. Or make your own with my easy basil pesto recipe.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Use gluten-free orzo if desired. I like the Jovial brand.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: recipe
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: Mediterranian
Keywords: casserole, orzo. one pan, zucchini, pesto, corn, gratin, easy recipe, healthy recipe, weeknight dinner, side dish, vegetarian