Italian Wedding Soup features a delectable combination of robust greens paired with a hearty broth and delicious pasta. If you prefer a vegetarian version, omit the meatballs and substitute vegetable broth.
- (optional) 10 ounces ground pork, chicken or beef
- 2 scallions
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 bunch fresh rosemary (or substitute dried)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 1/2 cups chicken, beef or vegetable stock. I like to use my chicken bone broth.
- 6 ounces pasta (can substitute gluten-free pasta)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch kale
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Peel carrots and slice into thin rounds.
- Remove kale leaves from stems. Chop the kale leaves into small pieces.
- Slice scallions
- Add ground meat and 1/8 cup parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Roll meat into 12-16 balls and bake in 350 degree oven for 20 min until cooked through, shaking the pan occasionally. You can also fry them in a skillet but baking them in the oven is less messy.
- While meatballs are cooking, boil pasta according to package directions.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add olive oil and saute carrots for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Add kale, 2 cloves of garlic, rosemary, chopped scallions and Italian seasoning and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add tomato paste to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, for 1-2 minutes until thoroughly combined.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of chicken, beef or vegetable stock. Heat to boiling on high.
- Once the soup is boiling, add the meatballs. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve the soup over the cooked pasta. Garnish with remaining parmesan cheese and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: soup
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: soup, italian wedding soup, meatballs, vegetarian soup, pasta, gluten free soup