Creamy mushroom and kale soup is vegetarian comfort food. It’s so rich and hearty, it’s nearly a stew. I promise, you won’t miss the meat in this easy recipe. You can serve it as a soup or ladle it over cooked polenta or mashed potatoes.
- 2 pounds mixed fresh mushrooms, such as white button, cremini, or wild mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for serving
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch curly or dinosaur kale
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas
- 1 15–ounce can white beans
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, plus more for serving
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme or Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (13-ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon red wine or apple cider vinegar
- Roughly chop mushrooms.
- In a large pot, set to medium high, add olive oil and mushrooms and sprinkle with salt. Cook for 15 – 18 minutes until the volume is reduced by half and the mushrooms are lightly browned.
- While mushrooms are cooking, chop one onion, mince 3 garlic cloves, and chop 2 cups of kale as finely as you desire. (I like it in very small pieces.) Drain canned beans and chickpeas.
- To the cooked mushrooms, add chopped onion, garlic and spices (red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning/thyme.) Cook for about 5 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes, chickpeas, beans, vegetable stock and coconut milk.
- Simmer for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Add kale and 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar. Stir until kale is wilted (2 – 4 minutes). Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- If desired, partially puree the mixture using an immersion or traditional blender.
Ladle into bowls, garnish with olive oil, red pepper flakes, and more oregano and parsley if desired. Serve with crusty bread, or spoon over cooked polenta or mashed potatoes.
Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: soup
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: soup, easy soup, soup recipe, vegetarian, mushroom, vegetarian soup, comfort food, mushroom soup, vegetable soup