Creamy mushroom and kale soup is vegetarian comfort food. It’s so rich and hearty, it’s nearly a stew. I promise, you won’t miss the meat in this easy recipe. You can serve it as a soup or ladle it over cooked polenta or mashed potatoes.
- 2 pounds mixed fresh mushrooms, such as white button, cremini, or wild mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for serving
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch curly or dinosaur kale
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas
- 1 15–ounce can white beans
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, plus more for serving
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme or Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (13-ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon red wine or apple cider vinegar
- Roughly chop mushrooms.
- In a large pot, set to medium high, add olive oil and mushrooms and sprinkle with salt. Cook for 15 – 18 minutes until the volume is reduced by half and the mushrooms are lightly browned.
- While mushrooms are cooking, chop one onion, mince 3 garlic cloves, and chop 2 cups of kale as finely as you desire. (I like it in very small pieces.) Drain canned beans and chickpeas.
- To the cooked mushrooms, add chopped onion, garlic and spices (red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning/thyme.) Cook for about 5 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes, chickpeas, beans, vegetable stock and coconut milk.
- Simmer for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Add kale and 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar. Stir until kale is wilted (2 – 4 minutes). Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- If desired, partially puree the mixture using an immersion or traditional blender.
Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: soup
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: soup, easy soup, soup recipe, vegetarian, mushroom, vegetarian soup, comfort food, mushroom soup, vegetable soup