This light and fluffy buttermilk apple cake is a cross between a coffee cake and a dessert. It’s an ideal treat but it isn’t overly sweet so it makes a really nice breakfast or coffee/tea break snack.
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup oil (avocado oil or canola oil will work)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 – 3 cups chopped apples (see note)
- (optional) 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Core and chop apples into small pieces.
- Combine brown sugar, oil, egg, buttermilk, vanilla, and baking soda. Mix well by hand.
- Add flour until fully incorporated.
- Fold in apples and (optional) raisins
- Pour batter into a greased 13 x 9 pan.
- In a small bowl, mix the turbinado sugar, cinnamon and melted butter.
- Sprinkle the topping over the top of the cake batter.
- Garnish with additional apple slices, if desired.
- Bake for 40 – 45 minutes.
Depending on the size of your apples, you’ll need 2 – 3 apples to get 2 1/2 cups. I did not remove the apple skins, but you can if they bother you. I cut the apples into small pieces, but you can also grate the apples if you want the cake to have less of a chunky texture.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: recipe
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apple, apple cake, buttermilk cake, buttermilk apple cake